Images as a stimulus to research in Scotland and in France
by Carol Parry and Elaine Morrison FRCP (Glasg)
In June 1915 the very first tented mobile unit of the Scottish Women’s Hospitals was established in the grounds of the Chateau de Chanteloup in the countryside near the medieval French city of Troyes. The latter become a hospital town during the First World War with schools and other buildings converted into temporary hospitals to care for the wounded from the Front.
The striking images in Sister Annie Allan’s photograph album (RCPSG 74) inspired us to research the Girton and Newnham Unit leading to the publication of an article about the work of the unit in the Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh in December 2014.
Meanwhile, unknown to us, Francis Tailleur, Directeur Pédagogique at the Institut Chanteloup, had also discovered some striking images of the Scottish…
View original post 573 more words